The Importance Of 3 & 7 In NFL Betting Strategies



Even the casual NFL sports betting fan should be aware of the two key NFL numbers, which are 3 and 7. These two numbers represent the key victory margins that are more common than all others and understanding their importance can dramatically improve your ability to make a profit by betting on football. Here is a look at why the numbers 3 and 7 are so important when it comes to NFL betting strategies.

Understanding 3 & 7 As Key Numbers

The numbers collected since the start of the NFL back in 1920 reveal just how important the numbers 3 and 7 should be to sports bettors. The most common margin of victory is 3 points, which happens 11.8% of the time in NFL games. The second-most common margin of victory is 7 points, which happens 7.4% of the time. When you add the two together, you realize that the final margin in NFL games is exactly either 3 or 7 a ridiculous 19.2% of the time, or once in every five games. Factor in the number 10, which was the final scoring margin 5.7% of the time and the numbers reveal that the final margin of NFL games was 3, 7 or 10 nearly a quarter of the time. The reason these key numbers arise more than any other is due to the NFL scoring structure with field goals representing three points while seven points are awarded for a touchdown and an extra point.

Understanding The Impact Of Key Numbers

Now that you understand that one in every five games on average will end with a final score margin of either three points or seven points, you can use that knowledge to your advantage when betting on NFL games. These numbers will impact the betting markets for these games including the point spread and the alternative betting lines. The sportsbooks will often charge more money for buying a point to cross a key number than any other number with 3 and 7 that much more expensive than 4, 5 or 6. The professional sports handicappers are well aware of the impact that these numbers will have and it’s important for the casual fans to be aware of them as well in order to improve their odds of making a substantial profit betting on the NFL.

Outlook

The smart sports bettors will use the key numbers to their advantage and make sure they do the necessary shopping to find the best available lines. For example, if a team is listed at exactly +2.5 on one site but is somehow available at +3 or +3.5 on another site, it is that much more important to take the latter line knowing that the game is that much more likely to be decided by three points rather than two points. Alternatively, those that want to bet on the favorite in that scenario will be much better off taking them at -2.5 than they would be taking them at -3.5 since the odds are much greater that the game will be decided by three points rather than four. Understanding the key numbers of 3 & 7 is an important element to successfully betting on NFL football so now that you know the impact that they can have make sure you don’t overlook them moving forward.